Thursday, September 27, 2012

Give


Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due, when it is in your power to do it.  Proverbs 3:27  
GIVE
 
As I sat in the chair, I realized how excited I was, and not even knowing what the final "look" would be.  At this point, the final result did not matter, it wasn't why I was here.  I had been waiting for this moment for two year and half years, well I suppose I have been waiting for this moment since the last time I did it.  My stylist brushed all of my hair into a ponytail at the nape of my neck, and with shears in hand, she started to work through the ponytail.  And finally....

 
And you ask, why would I grow all this hair just to cut it off.  The answer is simple...
 
"Locks of Love is a public non-profit organization that provides hairpieces to financially disadvantaged children in the United States and Canada under age 21 suffering from long-term medical hair loss from any diagnosis. We meet a unique need for children by using donated hair to create the highest quality hair prosthetics. Most of the children helped by Locks of Love have lost their hair due to a medical condition called alopecia areata, which has no known cause or cure. The prostheses we provide help to restore their self-esteem and their confidence, enabling them to face the world and their peers."
 
Are you someone who complains about your hair growing too fast?
 
GIVE
 
A special young lady in my life has given this same gift.  I am so proud of her!  She melts my heart daily with every breath and in every moment. 



 
 
It is her I think of when I don't want to "deal" with the length of my hair any longer.  I can't imagine if she or my son became a victim of cancer or any other life threatening disease.  The "what ifs" are more frightening the anything I have ever personally faced.  This very thought breaks my heart.  Therefore, I keep moving forward, continually trimming and conditioning, to ensure the best quality of the donation.
 
GIVE
 
There are so many rumors going around about the donation.  I for one believed these and therefore did not donate when I could have.  There are a lists of regulations here.  The most wide spread rumor I would like to put to rest is...  Your hair CAN be colored and permed, yes, yes, it can.  I started going gray at a very young age of 21, and I am now 90% gray in the front, I know, YIKES, right?!?  As you can imagine, I color lots and very regularly!  My hair is very donatable (is that a word?).  This is a cause I feel very strongly in and will continue to grow, cut, and donate.  I encourage you to do the same. 


 
GIVE


No comments:

Post a Comment