Friday, January 21, 2011

For My Friend...

I received a phone call from a very dear friend back home the other day.  This friend and I share many of the same loves and passions, God, family, friends, and SCRAPBOOKING.  She wanted a new tool that recently came out in the scrapbooking world.  With this tool, you can make many differents flowers out of paper.  I told her that I would take a look at this tool, do some research and let her know my thoughts.  After searching the internet and viewing this product, I told her not to waste her money.  In my opinion, since she already has the Cricut Expression, she should invest in the Gypsy.  Several Cricut cartridges offer many different types of flowers, and with the Gypsy you can manipulate them to your specific want and need. 

Of course, she wanted the "how to's" of how to make such a flower.  I had made a flower with a techinique I found on YouTube last Spring, right before we moved.  The flower is most commonly known as the "Tim Holtz Grungeboard flower".  I made the flower once and had not been back to practice and better that technique.  You can find a great tutorial here.  There are many different tuturials and techniques on YouTube.  Take some time, view a few, and find the one you feel most comfortable with.  

I started with my Plantin Schoolbook cartridge and used the flower found on this cart.  Then I cut three of these out at 3 inches each. 
The next step required the first flower to be sliced once to the middle in between two petals, the next flower required the removal of one petal, and the third flower required the removal of two petals.

Now here is when the fun begins.  Take your favorite quick drying adhesive, I used my trusty Inkssentials Glossy Accents, and start overlapping the petals and glueing them together.

Next, take a small cylinder shaped item and  roll the petals around it.
After each petal is rolled they should look something like this.
After you stack and glue each together, they will resemble a beautiful rose.  When I do this, I do all my Glimmer Misting before and enhance with Stickles by Ranger after.  Here is what I came up with.

The more you practice these flowers, the better the outcome.  So I encourage each of you to give it a try, this took me approximately 15 minutes to do start to finish, and it is only my second time making it.  Imagine the beauties you can come up with on a Saturday afternoon!

Have a great weekend everyone!  Miss you Jaeka!

1 comment:

  1. You are the greatest!! I miss you too! I am so glad you are blogging. All the questions I had for you when you were in Clarinda can be answered, pictures included on here!! I love the flower. I will try one as soon as I get my homework done. LOVE YOU!!

    ReplyDelete